A tunnel was attempted more than once in the early 19th century for the Highgate bypass (to join the Great North Road by avoiding the steep Highgate Hill and narrow roads of Highgate village. However, shortly after work began on a tunnel under when the roof collapsed, bringing Hornsey Lane down with it. This forced a change of plan and in 1813 a cutting was dug and a Roman-style viaduct built to carry Hornsey Lane across it. The large cutting was recommended by John Rennie with a high, multi-arched road bridge across it. The first bridge of was designed by John Nash and opened in 1813; Junction Road was constructed at the same time as a feeder for the new road. It was demolished in 1901 when the present bridge was opened.